Normalization is a technique that decomposes the table to reduce the redundacy of data.
There are 3 normalization forms we need to check and follow to normalize tables.
1st Normalization Form:
- Each coloum of the table should have a single value
- Each column should belong to a same domain
- Two colums should not have a same name
- It need not to be a proper order, e.g., we need not to sort the records according to the date of DOB.
2nd Normalization Form:
- The table should be satisfy 1st Normalization Form
- All the non-key attributes myst be functionally dependently on primary key
3rd Normalization Form:
- The table should be satisfy 2nd Normalization Form
- There is no transitive dependency for non-prime attributes
The transitive functional dependency is as follows:
A is functional dependent on B and B is functional dependent on C. So, C is transitive dependent on A through B.
If you are interested in or have any problems with Business Intelligence, feel free to contact me.
Or you can connect with me through my LinkedIn.
Originally published at http://jacquiwu.com on March 11, 2020.